5 Ways to Ace a Phone Interview

Photo by Dane Deaner on Unsplash
I recently had my first phone interview in years, and I was incredibly nervous about keeping on my mental toes and making a good impression.

The call went great. In fact, I think I nailed it, though time will tell. Following the interview, I started to think about the reasons why the call went so well. While mulling over that, I remembered past interviews that were similarly copacetic, which led me to brainstorm what I think is a solid list of tips for anyone hoping to ace a phone interview and score an in-person meeting.

1. Do Your Research

I didn't have a ton of time to research, but I kept things simple and organized. I started by looking up the company's history, their social media pages, and their blog. I took notes on what I thought were important things to remember. Many interviewers will ask you what you know about their company, but even if they don't, you want to know something about the company's history and activities.

I opened up a document and typed up a short summary of the company. Since the job I was interviewing for pertained to writing, I paid special attention to their blog posts and articles. I made a short list of their article titles so that I could talk about them if the topic came up. I really wanted to ensure that I could say something that would demonstrate I'd researched them thoroughly.

Know who and what you're interviewing for.

2. Be a Good Listener

It's important in any interaction or relationship to be a good listener. For one, it's a great way to forge intimacy and rapport with someone. People feel important and validated when you are intently focused on their words. When it comes to a job interview, it shows that you are respectful and interested in learning about the position. It demonstrates that you take the interview (and the interviewer) seriously.

We're sometimes scared and overwhelmed during interviews. If you make yourself slow down and focus on the interviewer's words, you nerves won't get the better of you. What's more, your nerves won't get in the way of actually hearing the interviewer. You'll absorb information more effectively.

One trick that I find helpful is to have a pen and pad of paper nearby. While I'm listening to the interviewer, I'll sketch infinity symbols. This somehow both calms me and helps me focus on the conversation, so I don't miss anything out of nervousness.

3. Prepare Questions and Answers

Make a list of 5-10 common interview questions. Write out responses to these questions and run through them multiple times. You don't want to sound rehearsed, but you do want to be prepared for a variety of different questions. The goal is to sound as articulate as possible.

Popular questions include:

1. Tell me about yourself?
2. Why are you interested in this position?
3. What do you know about the company?
4. What are your greatest strengths? Weaknesses?
5. Why should we hire you?
6. Why are you leaving your current position?
7. What are you passionate about?
8. What's your experience with X? (review the job description and make sure you can relate your experience to each of the job duties)
9. Tell me about a time you overcame a challenge at work?
10. What's your proudest moment?

4.  Smile

People can detect if you're smiling just by hearing your voice. You want to aim for a solid mix of professionalism and friendliness during your interview, and smiling at the right time will help you establish rapport with the interviewer. You'll sound like a pleasant and safe candidate. Because really, on top of finding someone with the right skills and experience, they're looking for someone who can be a good team member.

From my research, I knew that the company I was interviewing with hosted a lot of employee-centered events, like parties and field days. I also could tell by my interviewer's voice and attitude on the phone that the company tries to provide a fun, laid-back environment. So, I knew that smiling and projecting friendliness would go a long way in my favor.

5.  Turn the Tables

Near the end of the interview, they'll probably open up the conversation to any questions you might have. You absolutely have to have some questions prepared, at least two or three. You don't want to come off disinterested by showing no curiosity when given the chance.

You could ask questions like:

1. What do you think is the biggest challenge for someone filling this position?
2. What are you looking for in the perfect candidate?
3. Who would I be reporting to?
4. Could you tell me more about the work culture?
5. Do you enjoy working there?

Every time I've asked no.5, I sense a big energy shift. They seem to really like being asked this question. I think it makes things even friendlier, more personal. And, it doesn't hurt that people like to talk about themselves. I highly recommend asking this last question during interviews. It could really nudge things in your favor.

Comments

Popular Posts